Saturday, December 26, 2009

Wind in Kansas, Xmas, "to" vs. "cc" and comedy writing

I've been in Kansas the past couple days visiting Bekah's family for Xmas. It has been a really nice break from my normal hectic life, and I like getting to see her family. I got some great things from them for Xmas including some new notebooks (I have about a dozen, all for different things) and three new games, Wordsmith, Quiddler and Scrabble Slam. I really enjoy games and will review them later, since in just a few minutes I'm taking a walk!

I'm always amazed at the wind through Kansas. Growing up in Roanoke, I always assumed that wind came from Mountains (or from bodies of water, when I was living in Rochester and Houston). Well, that confused me the first time I drove through Kansas. I guess it makes sense considering all the tornadoes they get...

I am always a little freaked out by how little there is out here. I hear stories of people who get freaked out when they go to big cities for the first time. Well, I had a little of the opposite experience. It made me a little uneasy the first couple times I visited Bekah's family when I saw how little there was out here. If anyone has ever driven down I-70 through Kansas, they know how little there is there. Well, there is a lot (A LOT) less once you drive off I-70. Definitely disconcerting to me.

Okay, I took a moment to reply to an e-mail regarding the Bovine, and I was wondering, what is the difference (practically speaking) between an e-mail "to" someone and a "Cc" e-mail to someone? I know what a Bcc does (which is very exciting as far as e-mailing goes), but can't figure out what the difference between to and cc really is.

Tonight, I think I might put some time into trying comedy writing again. Jeff lent me (and eventually gave me when he moved to Poland) a book on comedy writing he had gotten. I've made it a little ways into it, and really should give it some more effort. It is a book called "Step by step to stand up comedy." Its actually written by an old Ringling clown. The book has a lot of exercises you can go through in writing jokes, and while I'm sure the vast majority of the jokes I write at first are going to be just about terrible, eventually I'll make a mistake and actually write something funny. Anyone have any other books about comedy they'd suggest?

I'm definitely a huge nerd, because I'd be surprised if that many people say to themselves "hmmmm, how can I be funnier?" and the first place they think to go is a public library.

2 comments:

  1. "to" and "cc" technically function in the same way. The difference is in how your message is read...

    "To" is the person you are addressing your message to... it's the person you call "you" in your message body. And it's the person you expect to do something in response to your message.

    "CC" is someone you thought would be interested in your message, but it's not directed to them directly. They may reply if they have something to add, but aren't expected to do so.

    At least that's how I try to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, thanks Jeff! So, there's really no unique function to cc vs. to?

    ReplyDelete