Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas, New Years, and 5 club 5 up pirouettes

I've gotten some interesting perspective having worked in the biomedical, retail, and entertainment fields over the holiday season. My approach and feelings about the holidays seem to be largely dependent on what my job is. In retail, I dread it. I'm paid very little and work very hard in a field I don't plan to advance in. In the biomedical field, I was happy because I'd have time off. In the entertainment field, I'm looking forward to it because I've got significant money coming my way, and I'm doing something I enjoy and want to advance in.

In other news, I'm absurdly close to hitting a 5 club 5 up pirouette. I've been working off and on at this for a few years now. It has become a very meaningful goal for me. I've been juggling for 14 years and consider myself to be fairly talented. At 28, I'm not making progress by leaps and bounds anymore, but I'm still getting better. Striving for this trick helps remind me that I am improving. Somewhere between 5 and 7 years ago, I thought I had peaked in ability and gave up for a little while. Somewhere along the line, I started to get more confidence in my skills as a juggler, and picked up Matt Hall as a kind of inspirational figure (as someone who is constantly improving and older than me). Anyway, I'm going to hit this trick. Sure, its something that many people hit on a regular basis and don't think much about, but to me, its going to be huge. It also makes me appreciate what I can already do since (and I'm not trying to sound egotistical or anything) many of the tricks I do on a regular basis are probably a really big deal to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment